2013-06-17 General Assembly17 Jul 2013
- Opening and Welcome
- Appointment of the meeting chairperson
- Appointment of the minute taker
- Establishment of the quorum
- Approval of the agenda
- Report by the members of the executive board and discussion
Applications for IGSN e.V. [[igsn:statutes#membership membership]]
New [[igsn:revision2013 draft statutes]] ([[igsn:statutes2011 statutes of 2011]])
- New Translation, English version: (German version sent in by email 6/13/2013)
- Resolutions and Actions
End of General Assembly
- Informal Discussion
Kerstin Lehnert; Jens Klump; Anthony Koppers; Lesley Wyborn; Leslie Hsu; Simon Cox
- 10:05a Kerstin opened the meeting with six people (three members, two observers, manager) in attendance
- Kerstin appointed Jens K. as the chairperson
- Kerstin appointed Leslie H. as the minute taker
- Jens announced the quorum, after reviewing the statutes for the calling of Extraordinary General Assemblies and confirming with the present members.
- Jens asked if there were any amendments to the proposed agenda and Kerstin proposed an addition to Item 6: Review of paragraph 4.2 of the statutes under Membership, “Members should be working actively with data centers for the purpose of registering IGSNs.”
- Applications for IGSN e.V. membership: Jens summarized that we received an application for membership from MARUM
- The group confirmed that MARUM will set up its own registration service. Their main client is the core repository, ODP/IODP/DSDP cores from the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Arctic oceans.
- The confirmation of MARUM was confirmed with an oral vote online.
- Simon and Lesley gave brief updates on the application progress of their institutions (CSIRO and Geoscience Australia) - having now seen the precedent of the MARUM application, they are ready to proceed.
- Kerstin brought up the wording “active participation” in the statues - if a member fails to attend three General Assemblies in a row, they shall be removed from the list of members. This should be checked on periodically, with emphasis on attendance at the December meetings.
- Review of the new draft statutes (sent by email and attached above in the agenda)
- Jens reviewed the recent changes, shown in the “track changes” .pdf linked above
- Other changes: 2.2.1 removed the duplicate “providing”
- 2.3 The redundant English is a result of translation from German, Jens marked it as “to be edited”
- 4.1 Makes it clear to whom membership is open.
- 4.2 Simon proposed deletion as it did not add any information. Anthony K. officially proposed to remove 4.2.
- 19.4 a modification for tax law purposes
- Jens summarized that all present members agreed on all changes during the call.
- Signatures from all members are required for the changes
- The minutes may be signed separately, digitally, and then combined.
- Cover letter requires real signatures (send the actual letter around in a set order)
- Actions and Resolutions
- MARUM’s application for membership has been approved; They shall be notified.
- Minor changes were made to the statutes, after review and discussion. All members must sign to change the statutes
- Action: Cover letter for the new statutes must signed on the hardcopy (make an order for signatures and note addresses)
- Action: Email to all members that the new statutes were approved
- KL proposes that Monday, Dec. 9th, 7 AM PST be reserved for the IGSN General Assembly
- Kerstin proposed that there is a Town Hall at AGU on samples again
- Kerstin brings up the AGU booth, if split with two other groups, will be $800
- Anthony K. supports having a booth at AGU
- There is no disagreement about the booth and all express willingness to be at the booth
- KL: The AGU session on Unique Identifiers was accepted
- JK Attended a meeting recently and had interest from the Research Center Ulich (get correct spelling)
- KL: Should contact the Japanese in order to expand the international nature of the IGSN e.V.
- KL gave a brief update on Marine Curators Meeting
- AK: the repositories could become Associate Members if interested (do not have to become allocating agents)
- UK involvement could be pursued to make the association more international
- KL: Last year we were in contact with IUGS, we should contact them again. The concern is to get new organizations in Europe and Asia. SC suggests that IUGS/OGC will not contribute to social traction in academia.
- All members should suggest ways of promoting IGSN on an international basis.
- Jens ended the General Assembly at 11:11 EDT.
- Simon will be away for 2.5 weeks, but can trigger IGSN e.V. application now.
- All participants must sign for their participation
- Cover letter for the new statutes must signed on the hardcopy (make an order and note addresses)
- Email to all members that the new statutes were approved
- Notification of MARUM’s acceptance
- Email about the next General Assembly in December, also an official invitation 3 months in advance.