Literature and Publications
Using IGSN in Publications
The transition of IGSN into the DataCite system will require changes of how IGSNs will be embedded in publications. More detailed instructions will be published here in the near future.
Since May 2017 IGSN can be included in the asset tabs of all Copernicus earth science journals. The use of IGSN is also endorsed by the Coalition for Publishing Data in the Earth and Space Sciences.
Publications about IGSN
Klump, J., Lehnert, K. A., Ulbricht, D., Devaraju, A., Elger, K., Fleischer, D., Ramdeen, S., and Wyborn, L. A. I. (2021). Towards Globally Unique Identification of Physical Samples: Governance and Technical Implementation of the IGSN Global Sample Number. Data Science Journal, 20(33), 1–16. https://doi.org/10.5334/dsj-2021-033
- Bastrakova, I., J. F. Klump, B. McInnes, L. A. I. Wyborn, and A. Brown (2015), IGSN at Work in the Land Down Under: Exploiting an International Sample Identifier System to Enhance Reproducibility of Australian Geochemcial and Geochronological Data, p. IN33A–1786, San Francisco, CA.
- Cox, S. J. D., Klump, J., & Lehnert, K. A. (2018). Connecting Scientific Data and Real-World Samples. EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 99. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018EO090337
- Golodoniuc, P., J. F. Klump, L. A. I. Wyborn, A. Devaraju, and R. Fraser (2015), Sample Identification at Scale – Implementing IGSN in a Research Agency, p. IN33A–1785, San Francisco, CA.
- Klump, J., and K. Lehnert (2012), Applications for unique identifiers in the geological sciences (Invited), p. GP31A–1064, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, CA.
- Klump, J., and K. Lehnert (2013), Use-cases and services for unique identifiers in the geological sciences, in Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 15, pp. EGU2013–11809, Vienna, Austria.
- Lehnert, K., and J. Klump (2008), Facilitating Research in Mantle Petrology with Geoinformatics, p. 9IKCA00250, Copernicus Society, Frankurt (M), Germany.
- Lehnert, K., Y. Su, C. H. Langmuir, B. Sarbas, and U. Nohl (2000), A global geochemical database structure for rocks, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems - G (super 3), 1, 1999GC000026, doi:10.1029/1999GC000026.
- Lehnert, K., S. Vinayagamoorthy, B. Djapic, and J. Klump (2006), The Digital Sample: Metadata, Unique Identification, and Links to Data and Publications, EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 87(52, Fall Meet. Suppl.), Abstract IN53C–07.
- Lehnert, K. A., and J. Klump (2012), The Geoscience Internet of Things, in Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 14, pp. EGU2012–13370, Copernicus Society, Vienna, Austria.
- Lehnert, K. A. et al. (2011), IGSN e.V.: Registration and Identification Services for Physical Samples in the Digital Universe, p. IN13B–1324, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, CA.
- Klump, J., and D. Ulbricht (2012), Re-using the DataCite Metadata Store as DOI registration proxy and IGSN registry, p. IN23C–1528, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, CA.
- Reid, N., J. F. Klump, B. Ballsun-Stanton, A. White, and A. Sobotkova (2015), A Mobile App for Geochemical Field Data Acquisition, p. IN13B–1831, San Francisco, CA.
- Bechtold, S. (2003), Governance in Namespaces, Loyola L.A. Law Rev., 36(3), 1239–1320, doi:10.2139/ssrn.413681.
Other publications relating to geological samples
- Anon (2015), Protect sites and samples, Nature Geosci, 8(11), 815–815, doi:10.1038/ngeo2587.
- Vergano, D. (2011), Hundreds of NASA’s moon rocks reported missing, USA Today, 12th December, A4.
Publications using IGSN
- Dere, A. L., T. S. White, R. H. April, B. Reynolds, T. E. Miller, E. P. Knapp, L. D. McKay, and S. L. Brantley (2013), Climate dependence of feldspar weathering in shale soils along a latitudinal gradient, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 122, 101–126, doi:10.1016/j.gca.2013.08.001.